DGV Nav

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

One Thing Leads to Another: Up-Cycled Alphabet Magnets and Fence Board

A few weeks ago Maggie, over at decorating.answers.com contacted Desert Girls Vintage about a possible DIY guest post opportunity featuring a unique DIY project.  Maggie couldn't be sweeter or more professional.  We look forward to working with her again soon.

Today I am giving you a more extended view of the DIY project I shared with decorating.answers.com. You can see that post here.  Please do hop on over and take a peek when you get a chance.

I saw an idea, awhile back, on Pinterest that I wanted to mimic:  Spray paint alphabet magnets gold.  It looked like a fun little project to make my fridge far more chic--in a playful way.  Isn't it funny, though, how one idea from someone else can evolve into something entirely unique and original?
The piece of old fence board I used to set the letters on while I sprayed them ended up the main art project and I can't wait to show you the result!
Who doesn't have a set or two of these hanging around?  Are you tired of looking at them yet?  Let's make them pretty!

Rust-oleum gold metallic spray- paint has a wonderful finish.
I didn't just get pretty gold alphabet magnets (that I am using to spell sweet words on my silver platters hung in my kitchen) but...
 a unique piece of rustic/contemporary art to hang in a child's room or nursery.

I really love how the gold is transparent over the wood grain and the character and age of the wood shows through with every letter.
I am thinking it would be perfect over a crib in an understated, rustic nursery space.  It is just the right size to span the length of a traditional crib or toddler bed, over a window or closet for impact at very little cost and effort.
Rustic Wood.  Modern nursery Love the name on the wall
lilsugar.com
Wouldn't it look right at home in a room like this?
white modern white nursery design with white modern crib, white ribbed roller shade, white bookcase, rustic floating shelves, wood mirror, white modern dresser, ivory glider & ottoman and faux bois white & gray rug.
decorpad.com
Or how about in here?
What do you think?  Kind of funky and fun right?
Let me just say another big thank you to Maggie at decorating.answers.com.decorating.answers.com  Please do drop on by and say 'hi'!

4 comments:

  1. what a cool idea! i can always use more art in my house so love this idea!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I love the board more than the original project (although I love that too!) Good thing you thought to spray them alphabetically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it better than the original project too! It's so funny you say that about the order, because I actually didn't put them in order the first time but when I saw how nice it looked, I found another board and did it again (just between you and me:)

      Rebecca

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...